Monday 29 March 2010

"You will pay the price for being a fussy eater".

How do? Just thought I'd update this rather anaemic of late blog with a few images of the past few days while Mum's been in town. I pretty much haven't stopped laughing since she arrived, which is either because I've been in solitary confinement for what feels like an ice age, or my Mum is genuinely hysterical. Can't decide which. She did describe choosing what to eat at a local Hawker market like "Walking through a minefield" which I think is amazing, as well as pondering why all the homeless people in the world don't move to Singapore, since "they'd be so warm sleeping outside".

So here are some curios I discovered in Chinatown the other day: Ornaments of babies that look like fully grown adults, and why not?

And some Chinese popstrels, I heard the bass player's a babe, she can really wail.

Slightly worrying, bamboo poles used as scaffolding. Sure it's safe though. Probably.
Ah bless, taking a nap. Either that or they hit the glue hard that morning.
Mum won't let me put the one of her in the Monk get up from the Temple on here, which is a shame as she looks f***ing mental and it's amazing, but this is pretty much how I spent the entire time visiting the Buddha's Relic Tooth Temple, as I looked across at Mum with her moisturiser sliding down her face and hair that is increasingly resembling a 'piece'.
Ooh this was interesting, we got up at 6.30am (KMN) to go and see a Singaporean tradition of Bird Singing. The old guard of the Chinese community all get together on a Sunday morning with their ornate bird cages in toe for a training session. All the birds are hung from the ceiling according to what type they are (lest they should learn the songs of other birds!) and they then start to 'challenge' each other. An old man explained to me that while some birds throw back their head, open their beak wide and warble with bombastic ceremony, other birds get intimidated and stay silent. "Some birds have no challenging power, if other bird is too fierce well it will make the other stay silent". I felt like Daniel San. There's money to be made too, the strongest challengers with the loudest, most tuneful song and most stamina can sell for a real wedge. It was dead cute seeing the entirely male ensemble sighing as they gazed up at their beloved birds chirruping the morning away.
And finally, I'd been holding out on Raffles for a Sling at the Long Bar as I knew it was one of Mum's lifetime ambitions to go there. Here she is enjoying what I think is kind of medicinal tasting Singapore Sling, invented at this very bar in 1915. And me trying to emulate a 'cad' just outside the iconic hotel...
Not da Momma!


No comments:

Post a Comment